Bills Lake 1 - Tip and Techniques
We really want you to catch the fish of your dreams so here is a few tips that might help this become a reality.
This lake has a pressured time during the season. It sees a lot of different styles of fishing and many different presentations of bait and as you can imagine, some good some not so good! I am at the lake every day and see many, many fish being caught and generally it always seems to fall to the same tactics… KEEPING IT SIMPLE.
One of the best methods that constantly will put a fish on the bank during the warmer months is the …”little and often approach” which as it says means you add very little bait but at regular intervals.
First, find a spot you feel is a good place. Either a nice clear gravel patch or a little plateau. Then cast to that spot and mark your line so that you know the next time you are right on the spot. You can mark your line with power gum or even electrical tape so you get the distance right every time.
The following baits and combinations seem to work well on Bill's Lake 1.
- Chops and Hemp
- Small PVA Bag and Paste
Below is a list of tackle that we recommend you use when at Bill's Lake 2 to give you the best chance of catching and landing a French carp.
- Rods - 2.5lb to 3.5lb test curve rods.
- Line - 15lbs line mono, NO Braided main line. Make sure your spools are full up!
- End Tackle - 2-4oz leads, size 2/4/6/8/ hooks (strong pattern e.g FOX XS/ Nash Fang ES).
- Marker Rod - Make sure you know what your fishing over.
- Safety Weigh Sling - Fox/TFG etc.
- Proper Scales - Rubens or Fox Digital.
- Decent Camera - Not a disposable one!!!... it does happen!. Digital cameras are perfect, once you get home you can upload your prize photos direct into the photo gallery.
Cat Fishing Tackle
The cats in Bill's Lake 2 are the largest of all the lakes. The biggest goes to 100lbs+ so you'll need good strong tackle. No need to buy expensive gear as any good spod rod will do as long as your line is up to it ! We suggest a 30/40lbs mono with a good trace. Something like Quicksilver or even a specialist carbon fiber trace available from most good tackle shops.
Bill can give you advice on rigs e.t.c "ask him about the rattle rig....Awsome !!"
Bait Boat Hire
We hire the Angling Technics Microcat bait boats at 110 euros for the week with free battery top ups. The boats can be shared between two people but beware that the batteries are only designed for use with one person so they can run flat quicker than we can charge them!. Microcat boats are hired on a 1st come 1st served basis and we only have 2 so be quick!
These are excellent for all baits including particles. Features include...
- Twin bait hoppers that can be individually or simultaneously opened.
- Microprocessor controlled variable speed in forward and reverse - spins on its own axis.
- Remote lighting control - control the lighting at range.
- Weight : 7kg - std batteries, 9kg - HD batteries approx.
- Bait capacity : 4kg - std batteries, 2kg - HD batteries approx.
- Range : 600 m approx.